Letter: T-S 10J20.5Letter T-S 10J20.5
Input dateIn PGP since 1987
Verso: Autograph letter from Moshe Maimonides to al-Shaykh al-Wathīq, i.e. Avraham b. Yaḥyā al-Najib, the tenant of a parcel of land near Dammūh belonging to the qodesh. Regarding both business and personal matters. Dating: ca. 1180 CE. The letter is written in a familiar style which indicates a close relationship between the two. Apparently, al-Wathīq, being on the spot, had to take care of the synagogue (removal of garbage and repairs are mentioned here), and of some other piece of land, apparently also adjacent to the synagogue. That land is farmed by a Muslim, whom Maimonides trusts. In his role of physician, Maimonides had apparently advised al-Wathīq to drink milk regularly, for which the latter rented a cow; he now advises him to give the cow up, since two cups a day are enough. (Information from Gil, Documents, pp. 321, #76.)
Edition: Gil, Moshe
Translation: Gil, Moshe (in English)
T-S 10J20.5 1v
TranscriptionMoshe Gil, Documents of the Jewish Pious Foundations from the Cairo Geniza (Leiden: Brill, 1976).
- סררת בעאפיה חצרה אלשיך אלותיק שצ
- וקד נפדת להא ארבעין דרהמא
- מע מוצלהא תתם מנהא רמי
- אלתראב ותאכד לנפסהא עמא
- תקדם מן איאם אלעמארה דרהמין
- פי כל יום וגיר דלך פאן אלבקרה
- לא תכרונהא אכתר ויכפכם(!)
- אלכאס אלואחד גדוה ועשיה
- מע אלדואם פהו ירוי' ולא
- יכרג בוגה ען ראי אלחאג
- עלי אלשרוי פי שי ממא ישיר
- בה ולא ידכל אלמוצע צאמן
- גירה ומא בקי תם פעל אכר
- יופעל פי אלבסתאן חתי נקרר
- מע אלצאמן קרארא אכר
- [[ואן א]] וחתי אבאשרה איצא
- פאן אראדת אלדכול בעד אלסבת
- פאדכל ושלומה ירבה ויגדל
TranslationMoshe Gil, Documents of the Jewish Pious Foundations from the Cairo Geniza (Leiden: Brill, 1976).
I am happy that your Honor, al-Shaykh al-Wātīq, may God preserve you, recovered.
I send you 40 dir.
with the bearer (of this letter), with which you should discharge (the debt) for the removal
(4-6) of garbage, and keep for yourself two dir. A day for the past days (in which) repairs (were done). Now as to the cow;
(7-8) do not rent it any more, since one cup, in the mornings and evenings, would be enough for you,
but do it constantly, since it quenches one's thirst. And do not
by any means act contrarily to the opinion of al-Ḥājj
ʿAlī al-Sharawī, if he gives you some advice,
nor let any other lessee enter the place
(13-14) but him. And then there is nothing else any more to be done in the plantation until we conclude
another agreement with the lessee,
of which I will also inform you myself.
And if you would like to come in (and see me) after (this) Saturday,
so come. And may your welfare be increased.
T-S 10J20.5 1r
Image Permissions Statement
- T-S 10J20.5: Provided by Cambridge University Library. Zooming image © Cambridge University Library, All rights reserved. This image may be used in accord with fair use and fair dealing provisions, including teaching and research. If you wish to reproduce it within publications or on the public web, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.