Legal document: T-S 13J2.10Legal document T-S 13J2.10
Input dateIn PGP since 1990
Legal document. Partnership record. Dated July 1103. Written in the hand of Hillel b. Eli. This fragment concerns ownership interest in a partnership between Mōda‘ and Abraham al-‘Assāl. In the document, Mōda‘ calls upon Abū al-Faraj al-Bazzāz to testify that Mōda‘ has an interest in the partnership, while Abraham seems to claim that he or he and his wife are the sole owners of the capital. Abraham apparently invested capital with Mōda‘ for the operation of a shop, and upon distribution of the profits it became unclear whether the capital was intended to be simply a deposit with Mōda‘ or if it would be (per Maimonides) "half a loan…and half a deposit". Apparently, these details were left unspecified when Mōda‘ first became involved in the venture. Subsequently, Mōda‘ seems to have called two individuals – one (perhaps a scholar) identified only as Head of the Congregations ("Rosh ha-Qehillot"), and Abū al-Faraj – to the shop to clarify the nature of his relationship with Abraham. Thus, the present document reports that the Head of the Congregations affirmed in a qinyan that Mōda‘ was indeed a partner with Abraham and not simply an employee. Signed by Abraham b. Shemaiah, Isaac b. Samuel, and Yefet b. Avraham. (Information from Lieberman, "A Partnership Culture," 218)
Edition: Goitein, S. D.
Translation: Ackerman-Lieberman, Phillip (in English)
T-S 13J2.10 1r
TranscriptionS. D. Goitein, unpublished editions.
- א]קואם פי מא גרי ביני [ובי]ן אברהם אל[עסאל
- תסמעו שהאדתהם בחצרתה מהמא אל[ ] חאצר ואחצר
- אלינא אלינא (!) אלשיך אבו אלפרג אלבזאז וקאל אנני כנת גית אלי דכאן
- ר מודע דנן וראש הקהלות חאצר ור אברהם אלעאסל חאצר
- פקאל ר מודע לנא אשהדו לי עלי הדא אלשיך אלדי הו ר אברהם
- אלעסאל באן מא בקי ביני ובינה מעאמלה לא פי מא //יכתץ// בה ולא פי
- מא יכתץ בזוגתה פאקני מנה ראש הקהלות עלי דלך בחצרתנא
- בחצרתנא בכלי הכשר לקנות בו ומה דהוא קדמנא כתבנא
- וחתמנא דלהוי לזכו ולראייה וכאן דלך פי אלעשר אלאוסט מן
- חדש אב שנת אתיד לשטרות תלי ביני שיטי מ יכתץ וקיימין
- אינון ודין קיומהון יצחק ביר שמואל זל'
- אברהם בר שמעיה החבר נבתויא נין שמעיהו גאון נע
- יפת בר אברהם ננ
TranslationPhillip Ackerman-Lieberman, "A Partnership Culture: Jewish Economic and Social Life Seen Through the Legal Documents of the Cairo Geniza" (PhD diss., Princeton University, 2007).
- [p]eople concerning that which proceeded between me [and betwee]n Abraham al-[‘Assāl. …]
- They heard their testimony in his presence concerning whatever […] was there. He brought
- the Elder Abū al-Faraj al-Bazzāz to us, who said, “I came to the shop
- of this m(aster) Mōda‘, and the Head of the Congregations was there, and m(aster) Abraham al-‘Assāl was there,
- and m(aster) Mōda‘ said to us, “Testify on my behalf concerning this Elder m(aster) Abraham
- al-‘Assāl, that there is no longer a joint enterprise (mu‘āmala) between me and him, not in what //is his// alone nor
- what is his wife’s.” The Head of the Congregations performed a qinyan with him concerning that in our presence
- with an item suitable for doing so. We wrote and signed concerning
- that which was before us, in order that there would be proof and a legal claim. That was in the middle ten-day period of
- the month of Av of the year 1414 (of the Era) of Documents. Hanging between the lines: “w(hat) he posseses”. They are
- established and this is their confirmation: Isaac b. Samuel (may his) m(emory be) f(or a blessing)
- Abraham b. Shemaiah the Ḥaver h(e shall) l(ive a) h(appy life,) a(nd his children shall) i(nherit the) l(and) great-grandson of Shemaiah Gaon (who) r(ests in) E(den)
- Japheth b. Abraham (may his) s(oul find) r(est)
T-S 13J2.10 1v
Image Permissions Statement
- T-S 13J2.10: Provided by Cambridge University Library. Zooming image © Cambridge University Library, All rights reserved. This image may be used in accord with fair use and fair dealing provisions, including teaching and research. If you wish to reproduce it within publications or on the public web, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.