Credit instrument or private receipt: T-S NS 321.28Credit instrument or private receipt T-S NS 321.28
Input dateIn PGP since 2004
Receipt. In Judaeo-Arabic. A teacher, Abū l-Ḥasan b. Abū l-Riḍā al-ʿAṭṭār confirms that he has received 12 dirhams for teaching 3 children for the duration of the months Av and Elul. The pupils are the son of Hilāl the water carrier (al-saqqāʾ), the son of the daughter of Khalaf the rice miller (daqqāq al-ruzz), and the son of the daughter of Miska. (Information in part from Mediterranean Society, II, p. 559 and from Goitein's index cards.) On verso there are accounts in Arabic script and Greek/Coptic numerals.
Edition: Goitein, S. D.
Translation: Goitein, S. D. (in English)
T-S NS 321.28 1r
TranscriptionS. D. Goitein, unpublished editions.
- בש רח
- וקבצת איצא ען אב ואלול גמיעא
- אתני עשר דרהם ען אלתלתה צגאר
- והם אבן הלאל אלסקא ואבן בנת כלף
- אלדי הו אבן דקאק אלרז ואבן בנת
- מסכה וכתב אבו אלחסן אלמעלם
- אבן אבו אלרצא אלעטאר
TranslationS. D. Goitein, "Side Lights on Jewish Education from the Cairo Geniza," in Gratz College Anniversary volume (Philadelphia: Gratz College, 1971), 83-110.
- And I received also for the months of Av and Elul together
- 12 dirhems for the three little boys,
- namely: the son of Hilal, the water carrier; the son of the daughter of Khalaf,
- who is the son of the rice-flailer; The son of the daughter of
- Miska.Written by Abu ʾ1-Ḥasan, the teacher,
- son of Abu ʾ1-Riḍāʾ, the perfumer.
T-S NS 321.28 1v
Image Permissions Statement
- T-S NS 321.28: Provided by Cambridge University Library. Zooming image © Cambridge University Library, All rights reserved. This image may be used in accord with fair use and fair dealing provisions, including teaching and research. If you wish to reproduce it within publications or on the public web, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.