State document: Moss. VII,163.1State document Moss. VII,163.1
Input dateIn PGP since 2023
Draft of a beginning of a report to an official, possibly a vizier, from a lower official. Beginning formula and opening honorifics are preserved. Addressed to "al-ḥaḍra al-sāmiyya al-ajalliyya," probably late Fatimid. After the unusual obeisance formula "ينهي امتثاله بين يدي الحضرة السامية", the lower official explains that he is writing in response to a decree that he had received from his addressee—or rather is requesting a decree from the addressee بتشريفه بكتابها الكريم. YU/ASE/MR
Edition: Umrethwala, Yusuf; Elbaum, Alan
Translation: Rustow, Marina (in English)
Moss. VII,163.1 recto
TranscriptionYusuf Umrethwala and Alan Elbaum, PGP Transcriptions (in Arabic) (n.p., 2022).
- بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- مملوك الحضرة السامية الاجلية الشيخية الديوانية ثبت الله ايام عزها واعلا شانها وذكا(؟) قدرتها
- واهلك عدوها وضدها ينهي امتثاله بين يدي الحضرة السامية الديوانية السديدية وينهي(؟) اليها
- لسوال الحضرة الاجلية ضاعف الله سعادتها بتشريفه بكتابها الكريم
TranslationMarina Rustow, [digital geniza document edition].
- In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate.
- The slave of the lofty, most exalted, lordly, official Presence, may God firmly establish the days of his glory and elevate his prestige and … his power
- destroy his enemies and opponents, reports his submission at the hands of the lofty, official, apposite Presence, and reports to him
- in response to the request of the most exalted Presence, may God double his happiness, with which he honored him in his munificent document (i.e., decree) …