Legal document: CUL Or.1080 J10Legal document CUL Or.1080 J10
Input dateIn PGP since 1987
Lease of an apartment of the Qodesh ca. 1180. Abu'l-Bayan, one of the prominent parnasim of this period, leases an apartment, which is in a tabaqa, i.e. an upper floor, to a certain Abu'l-Fadl. The apartment is in Dar al-Zajjaj, one of the compounds owned by the qodesh. The lessee is himself a parnas. The tabaqa is described as the apartment, sukn, of Makarim Ibn Sahlan. In fact, this must be understood as Makarim and Ibn Sahlan, since they are listed separately in accounts of rent, where they pay five dirhams a month each, the same sum of rent that Abu'l-Fadl, the new tenant, will have to pay. Abu'l-Bayan, the representative of the qodesh, cannot be one of the parties in the concluding formula which says "from each of the two," since he represents the court. The most plausible explanation is that the two tenants rented the tabaqa of the qodesh inhabited by them, to a third party, with the knowlesge and active participation of the qodesh. This would represent a subletting of an apartment of the qodesh. (Information from Gil, Documents, pp. 313 #73)
Edition: Gil, Moshe
Translation: Gil, Moshe (in English)
CUL Or.1080 J10 1r
TranscriptionMoshe Gil, Documents of the Jewish Pious Foundations from the Cairo Geniza (Leiden: Brill, 1976).
ULC Or 1080 J 10 Gil, Documents, pp. 313 Doc. #73 Lease of an apartment of the Qodesh ca. 1180 SH [1-30-87] (P)
- אסתאגר אלשיך אבו אלפצל אלפרנס בר אהרן הלוי נע מן אלשיך אבו
- אלביאן אלגאבי בר אלעזר הלוי נע אלטבקה אלתי בתגיב בדאר
- אלזגאג בדרב סלסלה אלתי הי סכן מכארם בן סהלאן בכמסה
- דראהם פי כל שהר מדה סתה אשהר כואמל מתואליה
- אולהא יום אלאתנין אלתאלת ואלעשרין מחדש אלול אתצא ואקני
- מן כל ואחד מנהמא על דלך קנין גמור חמור בכלי הכשר
- לקנות בו בלפט מעכשו
TranslationMoshe Gil, Documents of the Jewish Pious Foundations from the Cairo Geniza (Leiden: Brill, 1976).
Al-Shaykh Abūʾl-Faḍl al-Parnās b. R. Aaron ha-Levi, of blessed memory, rented from al-Shaykh
Abūʾl-Bayān al-Jābī b. Elazar ha-Levi, of blessed memory, the ṭabaqa that is in Tujīb, in Dār
al-Zajjāj, in the Silsila lane,which is the apartment of Makārim (and) b. Sahlān. This he rented for 5
dir. a month for a period of six full and consecutive months,
(5-6) beginning Monday, 23 of the month of Elul 1491. A complete and solemn acquisition was executed, from each of the two (parties), with an instrument that is proper
to acquire with, with the formula "from now on".
CUL Or.1080 J10 1v
Image Permissions Statement
- CUL Or.1080 J10: Provided by Cambridge University Library. Zooming image © Cambridge University Library, All rights reserved. This image may be used in accord with fair use and fair dealing provisions, including teaching and research. If you wish to reproduce it within publications or on the public web, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.