Legal document: T-S AS 44.32Legal document T-S AS 44.32
Input dateIn PGP since 2018
Legal query to the jurisconsult Shihāb al-Dīn al-Ṭūsī Muḥammad b. Maḥmūd Abū l-Fatḥ regarding liability for damaged property. The house of a Muslim had collapsed onto the house of a Jew, damaging walls, ceilings, timber, marble, columns and household vessels and pots. The question is followed by the legal opinion by al-Ṭūsī (possibly an autograph). Dating: ca. 12th century. On verso there is 1 Kings 7:51-8:11, most of the hafṭara for Pequde (Exodus 38:21-40:38). The title כי אפטרה is written at the top of the extant leaf. (Information from CUDL and Khan.)
Edition: Khan, Geoffrey
Translation: Khan, Geoffrey (in English)
T-S AS 44.32 1r
TranscriptionGeoffrey Khan, Arabic Legal and Administrative Documents in the Cambridge Genizah Collections (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993).
TranslationGeoffrey Khan, Arabic Legal and Administrative Documents in the Cambridge Genizah Collections (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993).
T-S AS 44.32 1v
Verso - Top
- بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- ما يقول سيدنا الشيخ الفقيه المولا الزاهد العابد
- شهاب الدين وفقه الله لطاعيه في رجل
- يهودى له دار متسفلة و بجانبها دار عالية
- لرجل مسلم فوقعت دار المسلم على دار
- اليهودى وهدمت له جدران و كسر سقوف
- واخشا[ب] احــ[ ] و رخام [ وعمد] و اواني البيت
- من ازيار الى ما سواهم هل يغرم المسلم
- حق اليهودى تلك الجدران و يغرم حق كسر
- الخشب و الرخام و العمد و الازيار و بقية
- ماعونة بعينه او يعطيه قيمة ذلك
- ام لا افتينا يرحمك الله
Verso - Bottom
هـ ان كان انذر شى وقع
لم ينذر ووقـــــــ[ـــــع ]
الضمان والله اعلم
كتب محمد الطوســـــــ[ـــــى ]
Verso - Top
- In the name of God, the merciful and compassionate.
- What does our lord the elder, the jurisconsult, the master, the ascetic, the pious
- Shihāb al-Dīn, may God grant him success for his obedience, say concerning the following: a Jewish man
- has a low house, next to which is a high house
- belonging to a Muslim. The house of the Muslim has fallen on the house
- of the Jew and destroyed walls and broken ceilings,
- timber, [ ], marble, columns and such household vessels
- as earthenware pots etc. Is the Muslim liable to the
- Jew for these walls and is he liable for the breakage
- of the timber, marble, columns, pots and other
- utensils in kind or should he give him (what corresponds to) their value?
- Grant us your opinion, may God have mercy upon you.
Verso - Bottom
- If he gave warning of something that has fallen
- [ But if]
- he has not given warning and it falls [ ]
- liability. God knows best.
- Written by Muḥammad al-Ṭūsī.
Image Permissions Statement
- T-S AS 44.32: Provided by Cambridge University Library. Zooming image © Cambridge University Library, All rights reserved. This image may be used in accord with fair use and fair dealing provisions, including teaching and research. If you wish to reproduce it within publications or on the public web, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.